Learn about a student, speaker, and pioneer, Micah Fialka-Feldman, who continues to fight for disability-pride, justice, and inclusion in his post-secondary education program at Oakland University in Michigan.

Monday, December 28, 2009

I'm Moving In!

The Federal Judge ruled that I can move into the dorm in January 2010. His decision clearly stated that I would be a positive asset to the university. It was the affidavits by my peers and my professors at Oakland University who made it clear that I would continue to be a great OU student and that I should have the right to the full college experience. Even though the case has taken more than two years, I am extremely happy with the decision. I am extremely pleased that the court said that "I am a student" and recognized my educational efforts. I look forward to living in the dorm.

Oakland University has been a pioneer in providing post-secondary educational opportunities to persons with intellectual disabilities, I hope they will continue to do so. This decision is just one step in the process and I hope Oakland recognizes the value at being a leader in post-secondary inclusive opportunities (check out www.Thinkcollege.net).

I really look forward to having people call me, 248-376-6556 and to reading/listening to their comments on my blog (http://throughthesamedoor.blogspot.com/) and on facebook. You can check out the articles in the Detroit News by Marisa Schultz
(http://www.detnews.com/article/20091228/METRO/912280389/1408/local/Learning-disabled-Oakland-student-wins-fight-over-dorm-room), Oakland Press by Jerry Wolffe, and NPR, Morning Edition with Joseph Shapiro.

I have learned that it is hard to fight battles for justice and inclusion. I also learned that when we create community we can change the world. This struggle will help many other people in colleges across the country. I hope that other students with disabilities continue to dream big and fight for what they believe in.

I could never have done this without the love of my family, the support of friends and as well as my great lawyer Chris Davis from Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service.

Check out my website: www.throughthesamedoor.com

3 comments:

  1. Dear Micah - Congratulations on the Judge's decision, and all your efforts leading up to the courtroom drama! It will be sweet to live in the dorm after all this work! We hope you can move in soon, and that the University gracefully accepts the Judge's ruling! Have fun in Florida! Love, Karen and Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news Micah! You have worked so hard for this moment. Keep us posted on your life as a dormie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAHOO, Micah! I am so happy for you and all the students at Oakland University. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete